Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

White City in Autauga County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

White City Cemetery

 
 
White City Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 25, 2020
1. White City Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  In 1870, Marbury Lumber Company donated land for the White Pond Methodist Church and Cemetery. It is believed that the first burial in the cemetery, marked only by a pile of bricks, took place that same year. The earliest marked grave is of Thomas Marsh who died in 1883. Lewis and Elizabeth Deramus donated additional land in 1897; Paul and Dovie Coker donated more land in 1927; and Rev. Alex L. Joiner donated the last parcel of land in c. 1929. The Methodist Church owned and supervised the cemetery until August 2004, at which time they transferred ownership to the White Pond Baptist Church.

Listed in the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register
Marker erected in 2007 by Friends of White City Cemetery

 
Erected 2007 by Friends of White City Cemetery.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion.
 
Location. 32° 38.823′ N, 86° 36.047′ W. Marker is in White City, Alabama, in Autauga County. Marker is on County
White City Cemetery entrance gate and marker. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 25, 2020
2. White City Cemetery entrance gate and marker.
Road 21 south of County Road 20, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1901 Co Rd 21 N, Prattville AL 36067, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Kingston Historical Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); Mount Sinai Rosenwald School (approx. 7.4 miles away); Mountain Creek Post Office (approx. 8.9 miles away); Woven Wire Fence (approx. 8.9 miles away); Steam Locomotive Bell (approx. 8.9 miles away); Verbena, Alabama (approx. 8.9 miles away); The Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home (approx. 9 miles away); Memorial Hall (approx. 9 miles away).
 
White City Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 25, 2020
3. White City Cemetery
White Pond Methodist Episcopal Church formerly owned and supervised the cemetery. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 25, 2020
4. White Pond Methodist Episcopal Church formerly owned and supervised the cemetery.
The nearby White Pond Baptist Church now maintains the cemetery. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 25, 2020
5. The nearby White Pond Baptist Church now maintains the cemetery.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 25, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 4, 2021