Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Grassland in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Montpier

 
 
Montpier image. Click for full size.
By Darren Jefferson Clay, March 21, 2020
1. Montpier
Inscription.  Nicholas Perkins (1779 - 1848) established this 12000-acre estate about 3 miles S.W. in 1810. In 1807, an official Mississippi Territory, he had arrested former vice president Aaron Burr and taken him from Ft. Stoddert, Mss., to Richmond, Va., for trial on charges of treason. He was later territorial attorney general in Mississippi. His house is about 1 mile west of this road: he is buried near the junction of two rivers 0.3 miles east.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3D 27.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 36° 0.426′ N, 86° 53.228′ W. Marker is in Grassland, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Hillsboro Road (U.S. 431) and Old Hillsboro Road (State Highway 46), on the right when traveling south on Hillsboro Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2340 Hillsboro Road, Franklin TN 37069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grassland Community (approx. 0.3 miles away); Leigh-Morgan Property at Grassland (approx. 0.6 miles away); Samuel Claybrook Locke (approx. 0.8 miles away); Motheral/Moran House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Motheral-Ring Family of Locust Guard (approx. 1.1 miles away); Berry’s Chapel Stone Wall / Berry's Chapel Community (approx. 1.9 miles away); Berry’s Chapel Church of Christ (approx. 2 miles away); Beechville (approx. 2.2 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2020, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 13 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 26, 2020, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 6, 2021