Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Beverly Methodist Church
The Methodist Church had its roots in Beverly from the time of its settlement. Services were first held in the private homes and lawns of congregation members. The first "church" was the log home of Dr. Benjamin Dolbeare, the first physician in Randolph County. His brother-in-law, Lorenzo Dow, was a noted Methodist missionary who often preached in Beverly. It is said that he preached on a log during his earlier visits to Beverly.
The first Methodist Church was built of logs and was located on the west end of Wood (Court) Street. Bishop Francis Asbury preached here in 1788. It was used for about eighty years until dismantled by Federal troops who used the logs to build huts while they were stationed in Beverly.
In 1867, the second frame church was built on Walnut Street and was used for about twenty-three years. It was replaced by the present Methodist Church on Main Street in 1890.
"It is said it served as a stable during the war before it was torn away."
Mrs. Lucy Brown McCrum
"Recollections of Old Beverly"
speaking of the first log church
This one-story church is Gothic Revival style with a
Erected by Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va. (Marker Number 7.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1788.
Location. 38° 50.592′ N, 79° 52.409′ W. Marker is in Beverly, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 219), on the right when traveling north. Located at stop seven on the tour of Historic Beverly. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beverly WV 26253, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Public Education in Beverly, VA-WV Beginning 1858 (within shouting distance of this marker); Gum Hart / Collett House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Peter Buckey House (about 400 feet away); Laura Jackson Arnold (about 600 feet away); Jonathan Arnold House (about 600 feet away); Crozet - Chenoweth / Rich Mountain (about 600 feet away); Beverly Covered Bridge (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beverly.
Also see . . . Beverly Methodist Church. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 22, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 811 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on October 27, 2020, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.