Matagorda in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Culver Home
Built in the 1890's for owner George B. Culver. Roy Shoultz, Architect. Colonial styling, with two large galleries and cupola. House built of Louisiana Pine and Cypress. Tile for fireplace brought from England. Distinguished visitors have included statesmen, Railroad and Church leaders in Texas. Culver, pioneer of Intracoastal Canal, drilled first artesian well in townsite in 1904.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5317.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1904.
Location. 28° 41.65′ N, 95° 58.037′ W. Marker is in Matagorda, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of Wightman Street and Caney Road on Wightman Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1001 Wightman Street, Matagorda TX 77457, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christ Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of Matagorda (about 700 feet away); Christ Episcopal ChurchDale-Rugeley-Sisk Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Matagorda Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Matagorda Lodge No. 7, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Texas Freighting (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Dream Colony of Jane McManus (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Matagorda.
Also see . . . The Culver Home - a family history. Matagorda County - usgenwebsites.org (Submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.