Odd Fellows Park
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows, IOOF, is an international fraternal organization that was founded on the North American continent in 1819. The command of the IOOF is to "visit the sick, relieve the distressed, bury the dead and educate the orphan."
The three links of Friendship, Love and Truth are the official symbol of this benevolent organization.
The Gunnison IOOF Lodge 39 was constructed on this site in 1916. The building was destroyed by fire on January 1, 1991. The lot has since been used as a public park and was officially purchased by the city in 2014.
The name of the park honors the legacy and lasting contributions of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in Gunnison.
[Photo caption reads] IOOF Lodge circa 1951
Erected by City of Gunnison Parks and Recreation Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Disasters • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 38° 32.747′ N, 106°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbine High School Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Vienna Bakery / Johnson Restaurant Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bruce-Frew American Legion Post No. 54 Hut and History (approx. 0.3 miles away); The World's Largest Collegiate Emblem! (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gunnison Country (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ho For The Gunnison! (approx. 0.3 miles away); Two Great Trains (approx. 0.3 miles away); King Coal (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gunnison.
Also see . . .
1. IOOF Park, Gunnison CO. City of Gunnison entry (Submitted on October 27, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of American Odd Fellowship. Independent Order of Odd Fellows: The Sovereign Grand Lodge entry (Submitted on January 27, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.