Sweeny in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Begun as family burial ground when John Sweeny, early landowner, member Stephen F. Austin's colony, chose this site for burial of his young daughter Freedonia, 1833. In use ever since by the neighborhood. Has graves of veterans of all wars since Texas Revolution.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9598.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
Location. 29° 2.801′ N, 95° 42.8′ W. Marker is in Sweeny, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is on Main Street (Farm to Market Road 524) 0.2 miles Old Main Street, on the left when traveling east. The marker is located in the Sweeny Cemetery near the main entrance by the flagpole facing Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sweeny TX 77480, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas Jefferson Sweeny (within shouting distance of this marker); Sweeny's Unknown Soldier (about 700 feet away, measured in Sweeny Family Burial Ground (about 700 feet away); Sweeny Plantation (approx. 3˝ miles away); Levi Jordan Plantation (approx. 5.2 miles away); Site of the Home of Josiah Hughes Bell (approx. 7 miles away); History of Paradise Memorial Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away); Phillips Family Cemetery (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sweeny.
Also see . . . Sweeny Texas. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on October 28, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 2. submitted on October 28, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.