Near Stanley in Page County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Jackson’s Last Glimpse of the Shenandoah Valley
Crossing the South Fork of the Shenandoah River at Columbia Bridge, the long columns of gray took nearly four days to move along the facing road (New Market-Gordonsville Turnpike) before exiting the Page Valley.
Private John H. Worsham of the 21st Virginia Infantry later wrote of the crossing:Near the top, as we were marching, there was a rock, and looking back and down the road, we could see six lines of our army; in one place infantry, in another artillery, in another ambulances and wagons. Some seemed to be coming towards us, some going to the right, some to the left, and some going away from us. They were all, however, climbing the winding mountain road, and following us.”
Bivouacking for the night at the nearby village of Hawksbill, Jackson resumed the march the following morning. At the top of the Blue Ridge, he was said
(Sidebar): The land for Graves’ Chapel Methodist Church was conveyed in 1860 by Paschal Graves who helped construct the New Market-Gordonsville Turnpike. During the winter of 1863-1864 the chapel served briefly as a field hospital. The two graves in front of you are testimony to the passing of Confederate troops through this area at that time. The South Carolinian died in the church-turned-hospital on two of the short benches, used in the so-called amen corner.
Erected by Summers-Koontz Camp #490, with help from a grant from the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 38° 34.592′ N, 78° 29.257′ W. Marker is near Stanley, Virginia, in Page County. Marker is on Chapel Road (Virginia Route 689), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stanley VA 22851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Big Meadows Lodge (approx. 4.1 miles away); Stonewall Jackson's Marches (approx. 4.6 miles away); Guarding the Past (approx. 4.6 miles away); Getting to know the air you breathe! (approx. 4.7 miles away); Mountain Contrast (approx. 4.8 miles away); Skyline Drive Historic District (approx. 4.9 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 4.9 miles away); Iron Mike (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stanley.
More about this marker. The marker features photos of Pvt. John Worsham and Gen. Stonewall Jackson. On the right is a map of the Shenandoah Valley depicting the route of Jackson's march and the locations of other Civil War Trails Markers.
Regarding Graves’ Chapel. The two graves mentioned on the marker are those of an unknown Confederate and a South Carolinian.
In March 1863, as elements of Gen. Wade Hampton's old brigade passed through the area, the church was turned into a makeshift hospital.
The unknown soldier mentioned above (from either North Carolina or Soutch Carolina and remembered by a few locals as having the last name of Litterberry or Whistleberry) did not die in the church but was said to have expired under a blanket of snow overnight in a field nearby. A "man of medium build and a blond, who evidentally went to sleep on his leafy bed without complaining of any ills but died about 3 a.m." The following morning at "about 10 a.m., the regiment had moved on, but two of his cousins had been detaile to give the body proper burial." Samuel M. Larkins, a
The second Carolinian, William F. Bruner, was of the Wessamassaw Cavalry of Co. D, 2nd South Carolina Cavalry. Remembered as a dark complected man with a jet-black beared, Bruner was suffering from some ailment and had been brought into Graves' Chapel where he died in the church "hospital," on "two of the short benches; used in the so-called amen corner. He was buried beside the first man and in the same manner, and also by Mr. Larkins."
From pp. 87-88, "Avenue of Armies: Civil War Sites and Stories of Luray and Page County, Virginia," (2002) by Robert H. Moore, II
This marker is one of several detailing Civil War activities in Page County, Virginia. Please see the Page County Civil War Markers link below.
Also see . . .
1. Page County Civil War Markers. (Submitted on February 25, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Avenue of Armies: Civil War Sites and Stories of Luray and Page County, Virginia. (Submitted on March 20, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2008. This page has been viewed 3,395 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on February 6, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2008. 3. submitted on January 13, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on October 1, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 6, 7. submitted on February 6, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.