Near Mexia in Limestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Named for the large spring on townsite donated Jan. 6, 1838, by Moses Herrin, who gave 4 lots to any person agreeing to settle in the town. 12 families later in 1838 were forced out by Indian hostility. Post office was established in 1846. When Limestone County was created April 11, 1846. Springfield - its only town of any size - became county seat. First courthouse was built 1848 near Navasota River; new 2-story brick courthouse in 1856 on the hill.
Home of Springfield District of Methodist Church from which stemmed the Northwest Texas Conference.
Also had active Baptist and Disciples of Christ Churches. Springfield college was established, but closed during the Civil War. The Navasota Stock Raisers Association was organized here.
When Houston & Texas Central Railroad was built some miles to the east in 1870. Population dwindled.
In 1873 there were 2 great fires in the town - one burning the courthouse. Surviving buildings were moved away. Groesbeck became the county seat. The old cemetery and Springfield Lake, both in Fort Parker State Park, retain the historic name of the once important town. Lake Springfield
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3816.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is April 11, 1846.
Location. 31° 35.403′ N, 96° 31.429′ W. Marker is near Mexia, Texas, in Limestone County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 14 and County Highway 456, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 14. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mexia TX 76667, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civilian Conservation Corps at Fort Parker State Park (approx. Ό mile away); Joseph Penn Lynch (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sanders Walker (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Springfield Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Fort Parker (approx. 2.3 miles away); Old Fort Parker (approx. 2.3 miles away); Mrs. C.D. Kelly (approx. 3.3 miles away); Fort Parker Memorial Park (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mexia.
Regarding Old Springfield. The courthouse of Springfield was burned last week by incendiaries. It was a very good building valued at $15,000. The bound books of the District Clerk's office,
Source - The Austin Weekly Statemen, July 3, 1873
Also see . . . Springfield, Texas. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 3. submitted on December 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.