Near Whitehouse Landing in Page County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
— Sweet Pig Nut —
Pignut Hickory was coined in early colonial days when hogs ate the nuts with great relish.
During the War of 1812 Andrew Jackson earned the nickname "Old Hickory" when he showed strength, stamina and energy as the leader of a rowdy troop of frontiersman and mountaineers.
Early settlers split narrow strips from the wood and made it into brooms.
Hickory wood was also used in making charcoal.
Pig in the yard
Pignut Hickory makes an excellent yard or ornamental tree, but is difficult to transplant.
Stronger than steel
Hickory is very tough and shock-resistant. Therefore eighty percent of hickory wood is used to make tool handles. Hickory wood is also highly valued for making skis.
Erected by Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812.
Location. 38° 38.478′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9531 Lee Highway, Luray VA 22835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Flowering Dogwood (within shouting distance of this marker); Downy Serviceberry (within shouting distance of this marker); You Are Invited (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tea Tree (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); History Marches Forward (about 300 feet away); Massanutten Wildflower Trail (about 500 feet away); Eastern Redbud (about 500 feet away); Jackson’s 2nd Corps Established (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whitehouse Landing.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 1, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.