Chatham in Barnstable County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Forest Beach Overlook
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has” – Margaret Meade
This land and the view you see before you were made available to the public in 1999 due to the efforts of a grass roots neighborhood organization, Friends of Forest Beach, together with the cooperation of the Town of Chatham Selectmen, voters and the generosity of an international company formally known as MCI WorldCom. At the 1999 Chatham Town Meeting, voters unanimously approved the purchase of over 91 acres (17 acres located in Chathamport) for $950,000. It was said at the meeting : “the purchase represents everyone in Chatham pulling together, people who were born here, wash-a-shores, summer residents, Board of Selectmen, Friends of Forest Beach and MCI International. All have pulled together in exactly the same direction and have worked hard to accomplish this” (1999 Annual Town Report). On April 19, 2000 in Boston, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency presented an Environmental Merit Award to the
This is the site of the former South Chatham Marine Radio Transmitting Station WCC. It was built by RCA in 1946. This station served as an auxiliary to the North Chatham WCC Receiving Station built by Guglielmo Marconi in 1914. During peak years of operation it relayed over one thousand messages a day and was able to reach ships around the world. The transmitting station antennae field covered many acres of the marsh. As a condition of the sale, MCI WorldCom agreed to remove the 300 foot tower and more than 90 poles from the marsh, as well as the residence and operation building located on the upland portion of the property. The poles you see in the marsh were left so that they could be used as nesting sites for Osprey that inhabit the marsh.
Photos and text courtesy of William Ryder and Maraide Sullivan. Special thanks to John and Barbara Cotnam. Background image: Architect Walter M. Gaffney’s rendering of the communication facility appeared in the New Bedford Sunday Standard Times November 17, 1946
Erected by Town of Chatham, Friends of Forest Beach and MCI WorldCom.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsEnvironment • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 41° 40.352′ N, 70° 1.504′ W. Marker is in Chatham, Massachusetts, in Barnstable County. Marker is on Bayview Road 0.1 miles from Forest Beach Road, on the right when traveling east. The marker is located at the Forest Beach Overlook. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 291 Bayview Road, Chatham MA 02633, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas P. “Tip” O’Neill, Jr. (approx. 2.2 miles away); Battle of the Bulge (approx. 2.6 miles away); Dr. Samuel Lord (approx. 2.6 miles away); Albro House (approx. 2.7 miles away); Harwich Historical Society (approx. 2.8 miles away); British 6 Pounder (approx. 2.8 miles away); Brooks Grinding Stone (approx. 2.8 miles away); Harwich War Memorial (approx. 2.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 3, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 7, 8. submitted on November 6, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.