Cromwell Consolidated School
Built in 1921 by Sublett & Hafner contractors for a sum of $9.000. Consisted of four classrooms with basement housing a coal furnace. School originally had grades 1-10; grades 11 & 12 were added in 1924. In 1929, a gym, two classrooms, & stage were added. Later, hand-dug basement under the original four rooms housed a kitchen, lunchroom, classrooms, and restrooms.
In 1955, grades 9-12 were moved to Beaver Dam High School. Grades 1-8 stayed at Cromwell until the school burned on Feb. 28, 1969. Students finished the school year in local churches. In 1970, the community purchased this land for a ball park and playground.
Erected 2010 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2331.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Parks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1921.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5901 US 231, Cromwell KY 42333, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beaver Dam (approx. 6.3 miles away); Monroe Homeplace (approx. 7 miles away); Jerusalem Ridge (approx. 7 miles away); Clarence Wilson Home (approx. 7.2 miles away); Home of Charlie and Betty Monroe (approx. 7.2 miles away); McHenry (approx. 8 miles away); Rosine (approx. 8 miles away); Rosine Area Veterans Monument (approx. 8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 3, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.