Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Adams-Van Lew House

 
 
Adams-Van Lew House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, January 30, 2021
1. Adams-Van Lew House Marker
Inscription.  Richmond mayor Dr. John Adams built a mansion here in 1802. It became the residence of Elizabeth Van Lew (1818-1900) whose father obtained it in 1836. During the Civil War, Elizabeth Van Lew led a Union espionage operation. African Americans, such as Van Lew's associate Mary Jane Richards (whose story closely parallels that of legendary spy Mary Elizabeth Bowser), served in Richmond's Unionist underground. Van Lew served as postmaster of Richmond from 1869 to 1877. Maggie Lena Walker, nationally known African American businesswoman, banker, and leader of the Independent Order of St. Luke, was born here by 1867. The house was razed in 1911 and in 1912 the Bellevue School was erected in its place.
 
Erected 2005 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number SA-69.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1802.
 
Location. 37° 31.88′ N, 77° 25.248′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is on East Grace Street near North 24th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map
Site of Adams-Van Lew House image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, February 7, 2009
2. Site of Adams-Van Lew House
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elizabeth Van Lew (a few steps from this marker); Mary Elizabeth Bowser (a few steps from this marker); Ann Carrington House (within shouting distance of this marker); Hilary Baker House (within shouting distance of this marker); George Wythe (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 205 North 23rd Street (about 300 feet away); Welcome to Historic St. John’s Church (about 400 feet away); St. John’s Church (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  Women in History. Elizabeth Van Lew (Submitted on February 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 
 
Van Lew House, Richmond, Va. image. Click for full size.
By Tuck & Sons', 1906
3. Van Lew House, Richmond, Va.
The Van Lew House is probably one of the best examples of Colonial architecture. The date of erection is not known, but additions were made in 1792. The original grant was made to Sir William Byrd; in 1834 it came into the possession of Mr. John Van Lew, and during the Civil War was occupied by his daughter, Lizzie, the famous Union spy, who here secreted hundreds of Union soldiers. The house is now owned and occupied by the Virginia Club. VCU Libraries Digital Collections - Rarely Seen Richmond
Elizabeth Van Lew mansion, Richmond, Va. image. Click for full size.
By Detroit Publishing Co., circa 1910
4. Elizabeth Van Lew mansion, Richmond, Va.
Library of Congress [LC-D4-33908]
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 4,482 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 31, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   2. submitted on February 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   3. submitted on July 4, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   4. submitted on March 22, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=15926

Paid Advertisement
May. 13, 2021