Near Waller in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of St. Mary's Catholic Church and Cemetery
The first of many Czech immigrants to settle in this area purchased land from Galveston developer E. H. Fordtran in 1891. Four Czech families founded St. Mary's Catholic Church in 1892. The first recorded burial here, on land donated by Frank Divin, Sr., was that of Antone Blinka in 1893. The Rev. A. Laska established the site as a Catholic cemetery and in 1895 the church built a sanctuary on four adjoining acres. The community faltered after the devastating storm of 1900. The church closed in 1947. St. Martin de Porres Church in Prairie View took over the cemetery's care in 1977.
Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8111.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 30° 1.909′ N, 95° 56.671′ W. Marker is near Waller, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Haley Road 0.1 miles west of Farm to Market Road 362, on the right when Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waller TX 77484, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Waller (approx. 2.1 miles away); Waller (approx. 2.2 miles away); Site of South Texas Baptist College (approx. 2.4 miles away); Highland Home School (approx. 3.8 miles away); Frey Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Frey - Benignus House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Pine Island Baptist Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Jacob E. Freeman (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waller.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.