Lee’s First Headquarters
— 1862 Peninsula Campaign —
In May 1862, Gen. George McClellan’s Union army was poised on the outskirts of Richmond threatening the Confederate capital. Here, in the Dabbs House, Robert E. Lee, as new commander of the Army of Northern Virginia, opened his headquarters on June 1, 1862. Four days later, he had shaped the strategy that would free Richmond from the Army of the Potomac.
Two notable conferences occurred here. The first, on June 11, brought cavalryman Gen. J.E.B. Stuart to plan with Lee the famous ride around the Union Army. That feat, which covered 100 miles in 72 hours, electrified stagnant morale among citizens and soldiers alike and was the first flash in Stuart’s meteoric career.
Almost two weeks later, on June 23, Lee assembled his top subordinates for the first time. Using information gathered from Stuart’s ride, he unveiled his plan to drive the Northern army away from Richmond. This event, often called “The Dabbs House Meeting,” was the first step in the series of battles known as the Seven Days that introduced Lee to the world as a talented general.
Known as High
Robert E. Lee was new to the Army of Northern Virginia, but he recognized his most able generals from the start. These five men shaped a new course for the war when they gathered at the Dabbs House on June 23 (left to right): A.P. Hill; D.H. Hill; Robert E. Lee; James Longstreet; and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson."
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 1, 1862.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 37° 32.594′ N, 77° 22.986′ W. Marker was near Richmond, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker could be reached from Nine Mile Road (State Highway 33) 0.1 miles west of Dabbs House Road, on the left when traveling east. The marker is located in front of the Dabbs House Museum
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Dabb House (here, next to this marker); World War II Memorial (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Dabbs House (a few steps from this marker); Nine Mile Road (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Burying Ground – For Colored Paupers (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery Confederate Section (approx. one mile away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an older one at this loacation and was then replaced by a newer one also named "Dabbs House" (see nearby markers).
Also see . . .
1. Henrico County Recreation and Parks. Dabbs House Museum (Submitted on February 7, 2009.)
2. Civil War Traveler. Henrico County (Submitted on February 12, 2009.)
3. Old Marker at this Location. This marker with corrected text replaced an older one at this location also titled “Dabbs House” (Submitted on March 3, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,472 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 11, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on February 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.