Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Staten Island in Richmond County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Treasure House

Built ca. 1700, with additions ca. 1788 and ca. 1860

 

— Historic Richmond Town —

 
The Treasure House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, May 12, 2013
1. The Treasure House Marker
Inscription.  
This building has served many functions over the centuries. Among the occupants who lived and worked here were a tanner (leather worker), a shoemaker, a sheriff, and a tavern owner. The building also served as the County Courthouse in the late 1700s.

from 1879 to 1882, Claus Holtermann, an immigrant from Germany, operated a bakery in this building. The business he founded still operated today as the popular Hotlermann’s Bakery, approximately one mile away on Arthur Kill Road.

The Treasure House takes its name from the tradition that a cache of gold coins were found hidden in the walls about 1860. The coins were said to have been placed there by British soldiers during the Revolutionary War.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 40° 34.323′ N, 74° 8.83′ W. Marker is in Staten Island, New York, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of Arthur Kill Road and Richmond Road, on the left when traveling north on Arthur
The Treasure House and marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, May 12, 2013
2. The Treasure House and marker
Kill Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Staten Island NY 10306, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christopher House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of 18th century structures (within shouting distance of this marker); The Three Sisters Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Patriots under Gen. Mercer (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Relatives of Elizabeth Bayley Seton (about 300 feet away); Church of St. Andrew (about 300 feet away); St. Andrew’s Church (about 300 feet away); Church of Saint Andrew (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Staten Island.
 
Regarding The Treasure House. The building is listed in the "AIA (American Institute of Architects) Guide to New York City, Fifth Edition".
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic Richmond Town. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on November 6, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 

2. Historic Richmond Town. Organization website (Submitted on November 6, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
The Treasure House, 1933 image. Click for full size.
Loring McMillen, via Staten Island Historical Society, 1933
3. The Treasure House, 1933
"Original B&W film negative and corresponding original B&W print. Exterior rear and side view of the Treasure House at Historic Richmond Town on Staten Island. The structure has two sections with clapboard siding, steeply-pitched roofs, and a high stone foundation that appears to be whitewashed. A large, bare tree is in the foreground of the photo. A chair and a clothesline with hanging laundry are also visible."
Historic Richmond Town image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner
4. Historic Richmond Town
The Treasure House is Number 42.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 6, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021