Strasburg in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The back wing of this log house was built in 1757 by Johann Sonner. Shenandoah County's first census lists three souls and a dwelling here. His son John, who was "Judge of the High Court of Appeals", built a two-story log house beside it in 1820 and the two buildings were joined in 1834. Part of the building, now a dining room once served as a turnpike toll booth.
Restoration began in 1980 when weatherboarding was placed to protect the original log structure.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1757.
Location. 38° 59.322′ N, 78° 21.847′ W. Marker is in Strasburg, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is on West Queen Street just west of South Fort Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 W Queen St, Strasburg VA 22657, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Strasburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Open House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Strasburg (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Historic Strasburg (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Historic Strasburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Paul’s Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Strasburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Strasburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.