Near Navasota in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Located on land which is adjacent to the 1873 subdivision of Courtney known as McAlpine town this cemetery was established by developer Dugald McAlpine (1795 - 1876). The oldest documented grave in the cemetery is that of W.S. Draper (1828 - 1873). There are some unmarked graves which may date from an earlier period. Those interred here include community leaders, descendants of early settlers, and veterans of the Civil War, World War I, World War II, and Korea. A Cemetery Association formed in 1971, cares for the historic graveyard.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8568.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 16.313′ N, 96° 3.896′ W. Marker is near Navasota, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker can be reached from Courtney Cemetery Road 0.1 miles north of County Highway 327. The marker is located down an old dirt road to the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Navasota TX 77868, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of Primus Kelly (approx. 2.8 miles away); Andrew Robinson, Sr. (approx. 6.4 miles away); Washington County (approx. 6˝ miles away); George Campbell Childress (approx. 6˝ miles away); Washington-on-the-Brazos (approx. 6.6 miles away); Old Salem Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away); George Washington Carver High School (approx. 7.2 miles away); Francis Jarvis Cooke (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Navasota.
Also see . . . Courtney Texas. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on November 7, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.