Stockton in San Joaquin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Temple Israel Cemetery
This hallowed ground was donated by Captain Charles M. Weber in 1851 for use as a cemetery by the Jewish community of Stockton. It is the oldest Jewish cemetery in continuous use in California and west of the Rocky Mountains.
Erected 1961 by The California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Temple Israel and the Union of American Hebrew Congregation, December 10, 1961. (Marker Number 765.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Landmarks • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 37° 57.892′ N, 121° 16.732′ W. Marker is in Stockton, California, in San Joaquin County. Marker is on East Acacia Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located at the entrance to the cemetery on East Acacia Street between North Pilgrim Street and North Union Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stockton CA 95202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distanceStockton Developmental Center (approx. 0.4 miles away); Magnolia Historic District (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Brown (approx. 0.6 miles away); Medico-Dental Building (approx. ¾ mile away); Stockton Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Saint John’s Episcopal Church and Guild Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Remember Pearl Harbor (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stockton City Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockton.
Regarding Temple Israel Cemetery. On October 4, 1851, Solomon Friedlander, a young merchant and a native of Prussia, passed away. The members of "Rhyim Ahoovim" met together to acquire a cemetery so that their departed brother could be interred in hallowed ground. A committee was appointed to call on Captain Charles M. Weber, the founder of Stockton. He generously gave the society an entire block to use for a Jewish cemetery. Here, Friedlander was interred, his burial marking the dedication of the place to be used by the Jewish people of Stockton for a sacred burial ground, from that time to the present.
This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.765 on August 10, 1961.
Also see . . . Temple Israel. Congregation website homepage (Submitted on September 22, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,696 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.