Highland Township in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
West Highland Cemetery
The need for a burying ground arose soon after Highland's first settlers arrived in the 1830s. They "laid out" an acre for cemetery use in 1835-36. The Highland Baptist Church bought the land in 1841. In 1915, at the urging of the Ladies Aid society, the West Highland Cemetery Association organized to improve the cemetery. It added an iron fence and plantings, and in 1927 took over ownership. In 1934 more than one hundred spruce trees were planted. By 1977, when ownership passed to Highland Township, the cemetery had grown to four acres in size. Although some of the earliest grave markers have disappeared, several hundred gravestones and monuments displaying a variety of nineteenth century funerary art remain.
This cemetery is the final resting place of several Highland area settlers and prominent citizens, including Rufus Tenny. He arrived in 1832 and became the township's first supervisor. The area's first church service, school and township meeeting were held at the farm of his brother Jesse. Also buried here is Squire W. Rowe, who settled in Highland in 1835. He was township supervisor
Erected 2011 by Michigan Historical Commission — Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2221.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 37.724′ N, 83° 39.585′ W. Marker is in Highland Township, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker can be reached from South Hickory Ridge Road half a mile south of Highland Road (State Highway 59), on the left when traveling south. Marker is about 450 feet east of South Hickory Ridge Road, near the east end of the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 977 South Hickory Ridge Road, Highland MI 48356, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rowe House (approx. ¾ mile away); Methodist Episcopal Church of Highland Station (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Village Of Highland StationPettibone Creek Mills (approx. 2.7 miles away); Priscilla Calkins Prior House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Hibbard Tavern (approx. 3.9 miles away); Pettibone Grist Mill 1846 (approx. 3.9 miles away); Milford at Work (approx. 3.9 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Rufus Tenny Sr. PHoto of Rufus Tenny's gravestone on the Find A Grave website. (Submitted on November 10, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. Squire Washington Rowe. Photo of Squire Rowe's gravestone on the Find A Grave website. Also includes a biography of Squire Rowe. (Submitted on November 10, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
3. John Mudge. Photo of John Mudge's gravestone on the Find A Grave website. Also includes a biography of John Mudge. (Submitted on November 10, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 10, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.