Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Essig in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Milford Reservation Line

 
 
The Milford Reservation Line Marker image. Click for full size.
By Connor Olson, November 8, 2020
1. The Milford Reservation Line Marker
Inscription.  In 1850 the Minnesota Territory had a white population of about 6000. In 1858, a year before Minnesota became a state, the population was 150,000.
  One of the reasons for this enormous growth was the opening of the “Suland,” land belonging to the Dakota Indians. In two treaties, one at Traverse de Sioux (St. Peter) and the other at Mendota, the United States bought the Dakota land for three million dollars, about 10 cents an acre.
   The United States Government allowed the Dakota to keep a strip of land, ten miles on each side of the Minnesota River. The eastern boundary of this reservation was a north-south line from the Little Cottonwood River north and crossing the Minnesota River at the mouth of Little Rock Creek. The Dakota people moved into their reservation in 1853, but in 1858 the part of the reservation north of the Minnesota River was sold.
  In 1858 surveyors marked out the boundaries of the reservation. When surveyors drew the north-south boundary, the mouth of the Rock Creek was about 700 yards east of where it is today. This marker is on the 1858 north-south reservation line.
  This marker
The Milford Reservation Line Marker image. Click for full size.
By Connor Olson, November 8, 2020
2. The Milford Reservation Line Marker
was erected in 2012 with funds donated by the descendants of Benedict Juni Sr. and his wife, Ernestine Klingbeil Massipust Juni.
 
Erected 2012 by the descendants of Benedict Juni Sr. and his wife, Ernestine Klingbeil Massipust Juni.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Native Americans.
 
Location. 44° 21.739′ N, 94° 36.667′ W. Marker is near Essig, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker is on 280th Street (County Highway 29) 0.1 miles east of 215th Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Junior Pioneers Tablet (approx. one mile away); Milford State Monument (approx. one mile away); Taken by Surprise (approx. one mile away); Ravine Ambush (approx. 1.6 miles away); Harkin Store (approx. 1.8 miles away); Essig, Minnesota (approx. 2.7 miles away); Turnverein Founding Site (approx. 5.4 miles away); Golden Gate Mill Stones (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Essig.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 4, 2021