Ingram in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(Two Miles North)
Howard Henderson (1842 - 1908) came to Texas in 1857. He was a survivor of the Civil War Battle of the Nueces in 1862, in which he and other Unionists were ambushed by a Confederate Force near the Nueces River. He later served as a Texas Ranger. Henderson married Narcissa Turknett in 1866 and they settled near this site. In 1870, upon the deaths of their infant twin sons Thomas and Philip, they began a family burial ground which became known as Henderson Cemetery. Other family members and neighbors were also buried in the graveyard.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2436.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil.
Location. 30° 5.945′ N, 99° 15.689′ W. Marker is in Ingram, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is at the intersection of Junction Highway (State Highway 27) and Henderson Road, on the right when traveling north on Junction Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ingram TX 78025, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as Old Ingram (approx. 2.1 miles away); Site of Sherman's Mill (approx. 2.8 miles away); Mary Ann Kent Byas Chambers Morriss (approx. 3.3 miles away); Nichols Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Schumacher Crossing on the Guadalupe River (approx. 4.1 miles away); Hunt (approx. 4.7 miles away); Hunt Japonica Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ingram.
Also see . . . Ingram, Texas. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.