Bancroft in Cuming County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Bancroft was the home of John G. Neihardt between 1900 and 1920. Here he wrote all of his short stories and lyric poetry including A Bundle of Myrrh, The Splendid Wayfaring, and the Quest and began his epic poem A Cycle of the West which brought him high critical acclaim.
Born in Illinois January 8, 1881, Neihardt lived in Kansas and Missouri before settling in Wayne, Nebraska in 1892. He began writing poetry at the age of twelve, worked his way through Nebraska Normal College at Wayne and taught school. In Bancroft he worked for an Indian trader and edited the Bancroft Blade. In 1921 he was appointed Poet Laureate of Nebraska by Legislative Act.
Many Omaha Indians in the Bancroft vicinity helped the poet gain his profound understanding and com- passion for their race. Among them were Dr. Susan La Flesche Picotte and her sister Susette (Bright Eyes), daughter of Joseph La Flesche (Iron Eyes) last recognized chief of the Omaha. Susette, an eloquent and attractive speaker, was famous for her tireless and effective work in behalf of her people. She is buried beside her father
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is January 8, 1881.
Location. 42° 0.173′ N, 96° 33.807′ W. Marker is in Bancroft, Nebraska, in Cuming County. Marker is on Road South (State Highway 51) 0.4 miles west of State Route 16, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2451 Rd S, Bancroft NE 68004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. M60A3 Tank (approx. Ύ mile away); John G. Neihardt Center (approx. 0.9 miles away); John G. Neihardt Study (approx. 0.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2020, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 8 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 12, 2020, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker in context • Can you help?