Conewago Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Stones from the Mass House
The stone used in the construction of this building are from the Robert Owings "Mass House," which was erected approximately one-half mile directly north of this site on a 500 acre tract of land granted to him in 1732 by Lord Baltimore. Archeological and architectural studies have concluded that the house was built in the 1750's and was used as a Mass House during the period 1785 - 1787 while the church was being constructed.
The parish acquired the house and farm land in 1956. The structure was destroyed by an arsonist on August 25, 1995 and the stones were preserved for future use. The farm land was sold, and the proceeds were used to help pay for this building.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Architecture • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era.
Location. 39° 49.11′ N, 77° 2.249′ W. Marker is in Conewago Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Basilica Drive just south of Chapel Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Conewago Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Conewago Chapel Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Patrick McSherry (approx. 1.4 miles away); John Timon Reily (approx. 1.4 miles away); Destruction of Private Property (approx. 2.9 miles away); In Memory and in Grateful Recognition of (approx. 2.9 miles away); History of the Ten Commandments Monolith (approx. 2.9 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conewago Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.