(Block 36; Lot 12)
— Historical Walking Tour of Whitefish, Montana —
The corner drugstore: an American icon.
Haines Drug opened on this corner in the heart of downtown Whitefish in 1926, having earlier shared the brick building (or "block", as such structures were then called) directly across the street on the northeast corner with the Star Clothing and Shoe Co.
J.A. Robinson, a jeweler, is thought to have built the first business at this site, 148 Central Avenue, in 1905. By 1911, Public Drug Crawford and Larter was listed as the owner; in ensuing years, the business became known as Crawford and Sewell Drugs, then simply Crawford Drugs, and finally Public Drug again. Pharmacist Bob Haines, already running the drugstore across the street, bought Public Drug in 1925. The following year he remodeled the building so that the entrance faced Central Avenue, rather than Second Street, and called it Haines Drug, and sometimes Haines Public Drug.
Ownership subsequently passed to Haines' son, Roger, then Ben Tempel and Ord Clark, and in 1984, to Jim MacKenzie, all of them pharmacists. Several other drugstores have played a part in Whitefish history, As of 2002, Haines remains.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine.
Location. 48° 24.645′ N, 114° 20.213′ W. Marker is in Whitefish, Montana, in Flathead County. Marker is at the intersection of Central Avenue and East 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north on Central Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 148 Central Avenue, Whitefish MT 59937, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pastime Pool Hall (a few steps from this marker); Robinson Building (a few steps from this marker); Hori Cafe Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Site of 1st National Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Orpheum Theatre Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Palace Bar (within shouting distance of this marker); Casey's Bar (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church of Whitefish (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whitefish.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 14, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.