Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edwardsville in Madison County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Pogue Store

 
 
The Pogue Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, November 12, 2020
1. The Pogue Store Marker
Inscription.  The remnants of Pogue Store, seen here, mark the center of Edwardsville's business district more than two centuries ago. In 1818, when Robert Pogue built his store, it was located directly across the street from courthouse square.

Pogue's was a general store and fur trading post that sold supplies to early settlers as well as to Native Americans who came to the store to collect annuities in the form of supplies provided in the 1819 Treaty of Edwardsville. The one-story brick building had numerous additions over the years so that it once extended from Main Street to Second Street.

The store was also the land grant office for Madison County, which at the time covered about half of present-day Illinois. Edward Coles and Benjamin Stephenson were two of the first men appointed as land grant officers. As Edwardsville's first post office, the store also functioned as a bank where monies were collected from federal land sales.

The store was a community gathering place in a village that counted among its citizens Edward Coles and Ninian Edwards, both Illinois governors, and many other early Illinois politicians, including
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Benjamin Stephenson, Joseph Gillespie, and Daniel J. Cook.

The Robert Pogue Estate sold the property to Isaac Prickett in 1826. Over the years, the building was also used as a residence, confectionary, tavern, and restaurant.
 
Erected 2020 by City of Edwardsville and the Illinois State Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1818.
 
Location. 38° 49.132′ N, 89° 57.858′ W. Marker is in Edwardsville, Illinois, in Madison County. Marker is on North Main Street (Illinois Route 143/159), on the right when traveling south. Marker is across the street from the Mannie Jackson Center for Humanities. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 N Main St, Edwardsville IL 62025, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor Coles and Slavery (a few steps from this marker); Lincoln School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Weir House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edwardsville National Bank Clock (approx. half a mile away); First Cemetery in the City of Edwardsville
The Pogue Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, November 12, 2020
2. The Pogue Store Marker
A close-up of the marker with the brick remnants that are mentioned
(approx. half a mile away); West End Service Station (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Abraham Lincoln's Speech (approx. 0.6 miles away); Edwardsville (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edwardsville.
 
Also see . . .  Historic structure uncovered inside Rusty's. Edwardsville locals remember the property (where the markers stands) as the place where Rusty's Restaurant once sat for nearly 50 years. Rusty's was a landmark restaurant that closed in 2008 and demolished in 2019. While the property sat idle for many years, some old remnants of the Pogue Store were found and preserved. Published by the Edwardsville Intelligencer on 12/17/2015. (Submitted on November 14, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.) 
 
The Pogue Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, November 12, 2020
3. The Pogue Store Marker
Marker sits in front of the empty lot where the landmark Rusty's Restaurant once sat.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 14, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=160042

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024