Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Civil War Outpost

 
 
Civil War Outpost Marker image. Click for full size.
November 13, 2020
1. Civil War Outpost Marker
Inscription.  In August 1861, while U.S. forces were constructing the Arlington line three miles to the east, the Confederates established a fortified outpost on the high ground about 200 yards west of here to guard the bridge by which the Georgetown-Falls Church Road crossed Four Mile Run. In October they withdrew to Fairfax Court House. The Federals then established a signal station at the top of the hill and constructed Fort Ramsay just across the county line.
 
Erected 1969 by Arlington County Virginia. (Marker Number 23.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or CastlesWar, US Civil.
 
Location. 38° 52.473′ N, 77° 8.054′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Manchester Street and Wilson Boulevard, on the left when traveling north on North Manchester Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tracks into History (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Falls Line (about 700 feet
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
away, measured in a direct line); Bluemont Junction (about 700 feet away); Rosslyn Station (about 700 feet away); Bluemont Junction, ca. 1934 (about 700 feet away); Reevesland (approx. 0.3 miles away); Southern-Shreve Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Mary Carlin House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Also see . . .  Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location titled “Confederate Outpost". (Submitted on November 15, 2020.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2020, by Brad Scriber of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on November 13, 2020, by Brad Scriber of Arlington, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Nov. 27, 2020