Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chester in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Farrar's Island

 
 
Farrar's Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, February 9, 2009
1. Farrar's Island Marker
Inscription.  In 1611, Farrar's Island was the site of the "Citie of Henrico," one of Virginia's first four primary settlement areas under the Virginia Company of London. Later, it was part of a 2,000-acre land patent issued posthumously to William Farrar in 1637. Farrar, who arrived in Virginia from London in 1618 aboard the Neptune, invested in the company under its third charter. In 1626, Governor Sir George Yeardley appointed Farrar to the governor's Council, a position he occupied until 1632. He also served as a justice for two counties. Farrar family members resided on the island until they sold it to Thomas Randolph on 26 Jan. 1727.
 
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-199.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is January 26, 1727.
 
Location. 37° 22.157′ N, 77° 25.07′ W. Marker is in Chester, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker is on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) 0.1 miles north of Osborne Road, on the right when traveling south
Farrar's Island Marker on Jeff Davis Highway image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, February 9, 2009
2. Farrar's Island Marker on Jeff Davis Highway
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chester VA 23831, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Osbornes (here, next to this marker); Proctor's Creek Fight (approx. 0.8 miles away); Into the "Bottle" (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battle of Chester Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Chester Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chester Station Fight (approx. 1.2 miles away); Halfway House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Half-Way House (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
 
Also see . . .  Henricus Historical Park. (Submitted on February 10, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 10, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,946 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 10, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=16018

Paid Advertisement
May. 6, 2021