Near Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Four Mile Dam
(100 Yards South)
Built under an 1896 charter, obtained for the Junction City Irrigation and Power Ditches, to furnish power for mills and mining, supply city mains, water extensive lands and livestock.
At first, under engineering supervision of G.W. Ragsdill, a local man, then of R.J. Hand, San Antonio, project was sold 1903 to Jay E. Adams, San Antonio, and A.C. Green, of Palestine, Texas.
Dam was of native stone and cypress wood; ditches were 4 ft. deep, 20 ft. at top, 12 at bottom.
Big ditch carried water late as 1925; but was unprofitable. Charter was forfeited in 1950.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4414.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 30° 27.249′ N, 99° 48.365′ W. Marker is near Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is on U.S. 377 1˝ miles south of Smith Lane (County Highway 170), on the left when traveling south. The marker is located north of the entrance Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Junction TX 76849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John James Smith (approx. 1.2 miles away); Isaac Kountz (approx. 2.2 miles away); Vicinity of Bradbury Settlement (approx. 2.4 miles away); William Walter Taylor (approx. 2˝ miles away); First Baptist Church of Junction (approx. 3.2 miles away); College Street Church of Christ (approx. 3.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Junction (approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of First Livery Stable (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
Also see . . . Junction Texas. Wikipedia (Submitted on November 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.