Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

West Lampeter Township in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Settlement in Lancaster County

1710

 
 
First Settlement in Lancaster County -- 1710 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Carl Gordon Moore Jr., November 19, 2020
1. First Settlement in Lancaster County -- 1710 Marker
Inscription.  First Settlement in Lancaster County -- 1710.

Scale one inch = 100 perches
A* ["*" circled] indicates this tablet
B* Mennonite Ch. (Herr - grave)
C* old Chr. Herr House 1719
D* the big spring
E* old Miller graveyard
R-S Pequea Creek
Tract - 5 miles long - 6400 A
Lines run 12° from cardinals

I indicates West Willow
II Willow Street
III Lampeter Sq.
IV Strasburg Boro

First Land Owners
1 Martin Kindig_________530 acres
2 Martin Meylin_________264 ''
3 Christian Herr_________530 ''
4 Martin Kindig__________264 ''
5 John (Hans) Herr_______530 ''
6 Wendall Bowman_______530 ''
7 J. Rudolph Bundely_____530 ''
8 Chr'st'r Franciscus_____530 ''
9 Jacob Miller___________1008 ''
10 John Funk_____________530 ''
11 Martin Kindig________1060 ''
Add 6% for roads
----- marks old Conestoga Road

Erected by the Lancaster County Historical Society
Sept'r 8th, 1910.
 
Erected 1910 by Lancaster Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in
First Settlement in Lancaster County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Carl Gordon Moore Jr., November 19, 2020
2. First Settlement in Lancaster County Marker
Just behind the marker in photo 1; contents:

Celebrate
Community
300
Wilow Street Mennonite Church
1710-2010
"They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD for the display
of his splendor."-Isaiah 61:3
these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 39° 58.379′ N, 76° 15.618′ W. Marker is in West Lampeter Township, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Penn Grant Road just west of Hans Herr Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 399 E Penn Grant Rd, Willow Street PA 17584, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blacksmith Shop (approx. half a mile away); Heine Weber Smokehouse (approx. half a mile away); Millstones (approx. half a mile away); Boehm's Chapel (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Boehms Chapel (approx. one mile away); Herr House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Martin Meylin’s Gunshop (approx. 1˝ miles away); Birthplace of the Pennsylvania Rifle (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Lampeter Township.
 
First Settlement in Lancaster County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Carl Gordon Moore Jr., November 19, 2020
3. First Settlement in Lancaster County Marker
On the building behind photos 1 and 2; contents, at upper left:

Willow Street
Mennonite Church
Erected 1848
Rebuilt 1889.
Rebuilt 1936
Rebuilt 1969
First Settlement in Lancaster County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Carl Gordon Moore Jr., November 19, 2020
4. First Settlement in Lancaster County Marker
Overview: Penn Grant Road in front; markers of photos 1 and 2 at left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 19, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland.   2, 3, 4. submitted on November 20, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 6, 2021