West Lampeter Township in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
During the 18th and 19th centuries, mills were central to the life of Lancaster County; towns grew frequently from these gathering places. Today few of these mills are still in operation, and even fewer continue to use millstones.
Early milling techniques, using millstones like these, can be seen at Millbridge Village, located on the Pequea Creek, the mill at the Village was begun in 1738 by John Herr, a grandson of Hans Herr.
[Begin: picture captions, left to right, across marker top]
Worn-out millstones were often put to other uses.
Imported French buhrstones, cemented and bound by an iron hoop.
Stone used to remove the hulls from oats.
Runner (or upper) stone with iron ring used to lift it when sharpening furrows.
Conical stone rotated on its side to crush hemp for cloth or rope.
The runner rotated above the stationary netherstone during use.
[End: picture captions, left to right, across marker top]
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 39° 58.8′ N, 76° 15.667′ W. Marker is in West Lampeter Township, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker can be reached from Hans Herr Drive. Located in the Hans Herr historic site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1849 Hans Herr Dr, Willow Street PA 17584, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Heine Weber Smokehouse (a few steps from this marker); Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); First Settlement in Lancaster County (approx. half a mile away); Herr House (approx. ¾ mile away); Martin Meylin’s Gunshop (approx. 1.2 miles away); Birthplace of the Pennsylvania Rifle (approx. 1.3 miles away); Boehm's ChapelBoehms Chapel (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Lampeter Township.
Also see . . . Hans Herr House Museum website. (Submitted on August 2, 2013, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2013, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 436 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on November 20, 2020. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 30, 2013, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 20, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.