Near Joaquin in Shelby County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Georgia natives Henry L. and William Rubin Brook, brothers who married sisters Mary Jane and Caroline E. Henry, respectively, migrated from Alabama to Shelby County by 1850. Henry Brook settled 320 acres through an 1845 Republic of Texas Act granting land on unassigned public domain. Brook later had to defend his homestead and property boundaries in district court, in a case later affirmed by the Texas Supreme Court, resulting in an 1859 letter patent from governor H. R. Runnels.
Henry Brook was a merchant and farmer, and the Brookland Community developed around the homes of Brook and Henry family members who settled here. Henry died in October 1871, and his burial is the first recorded in Brookland Cemetery. After his death, Mary Jane continued to farm with the help of her sons and became an astute businesswoman, operating the Brookland-Logansport ferry. She also donated land and lumber to build the Brookland Methodist Church, forerunner of the First Methodist Church in Joaquin, located in the Northeast corner of the cemetery.
Beginning as a family graveyard, Brookland Cemetery developed into a community burial ground,
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2010
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16832.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 31° 58.235′ N, 94° 0.962′ W. Marker is near Joaquin, Texas, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 84 and Farm to Market Road 2787, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 84. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Joaquin TX 75954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. B. F. Morris and the Town of Joaquin (approx. 2.4 miles away); International Boundary (approx. 4.6 International Boundary Marker (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named International Boundary Marker (approx. 4.7 miles away); Adams Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away); Deadwood Cemetery (approx. 14.2 miles away); First Christian Church of Center (approx. 15.4 miles away); Luke (Jack) Motley, Jr. (approx. 15.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Ferries on the Sabine. All things Sabine (Submitted on November 22, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 19 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 22, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.