Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Kalispell in Flathead County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Grant/Clifford House

East Side Historic District

 
 
Grant/Clifford House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 19, 2020
1. Grant/Clifford House Marker
Inscription.  Carpenter Warren J. Lamb demonstrated familiarity with the very latest styles in this two-story home, which he built in 1898. The low hipped roof and wide eaves suggest the Prairie style while exposed rafter ends are a hallmark of the Arts and Crafts movement. The interior reflects these stylistic influences. Built-in shelves separate the living/dining rooms and handsome wood paneling covers the stairway wall. Original green and red glass light fixtures and wall sconces remain in place. From 1907 until 1921, miner/farmer James J. Grant, his wife Mary and their five children lived in the home. The Irish-born Civil War veteran had a varied career serving as scout for General Custer, game warden, deputy sheriff, and deputy U.S. Marshall. Cecil and Margaret Clifford, both ordained ministers, owned the home from 1926 to 1953. While the Cliffords’ son was away at college in the late 1920s, the residence fondly became known through their correspondence as “Homomyne.”
 
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture
Grant/Clifford House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 19, 2020
2. Grant/Clifford House and Marker
The marker is to the right of the entrance.
ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program series list.
 
Location. 48° 11.89′ N, 114° 18.444′ W. Marker is in Kalispell, Montana, in Flathead County. Marker can be reached from 4th Avenue East near 2nd Street East, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 126 4th Avenue East, Kalispell MT 59901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Alexander D. MacDonald Residence (a few steps from this marker); Nathan Rental Property (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Conlon House (about 600 feet away); Dean Rental Property (about 600 feet away); Driscoll House (about 800 feet away); Donovan House (about 800 feet away); Central School (about 800 feet away); George Drew Residence (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kalispell.
 
Also see . . .  Grant/Clifford House -- Flathead Beacon. In 1898, carpenter Warren J. Lamb built the two-story home at 126 Fourth St. E. Lamb’s handiwork became part of several
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
early homes in Kalispell, but this one is, perhaps, a showcase of various architectural styles that were popular in the day and the ideals of the era.
(Submitted on November 23, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 51 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 23, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021