Near Atlanta in Cass County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Laws Chapel Cemetery
Originally a family cemetery, this burial ground began upon the death of Henry G. Law (1813-1854), son of George and Martha McDonald Law, who died shortly after the family moved here from Georgia. The site eventually became a community cemetery and another son, Richard R. Law, donated 6 acres to the Laws Chapel Church and Cemetery in 1869. The graveyard later was shared with nearby Piney Grove Baptist Church after it was established in 1887. Expanded by 1.5 acres in 1941, the cemetery continues to serve the community and remains a chronicle of the pioneers, veterans, and families of Cass County.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2001
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17466.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 5.982′ N, 94° 13.759′ W. Marker is near Atlanta, Texas, in Cass County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2328 half a mile north of U.S. 59, on the left when Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4065 FM 2328, Atlanta TX 75551, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Law's Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Cass County (approx. 3.7 miles away); Bessie Coleman (approx. 3.8 miles away); Atlanta Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.