Farmington Hills in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Harger House
This home, an outstanding example of cut-stone Greek Revival architecture, was constructed in 1837--the year Michigan achieved statehood--by John Dallas Harger, who came to Oakland County from Niagara, N. Y.
A son, Oscar Seeley Harger, supervisor of Farmington Township in 1871, inherited the home, called "Briar Hill." This became a well-known dairy farm in the early 20th century and was lived in by Hargers for 115 years, until 1952.
Erected by Farmington Hills Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 29.899′ N, 83° 24.463′ W. Marker is in Farmington Hills, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker can be reached from West Twelve Mile Road, on the right when traveling west. Marker is about 450 feet east of Schroder Street. It is at the back of the parking lot at the northeast corner of the house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36500 Twelve Mile Road, Farmington MI 48331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distanceHamilton Jones House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pettibone House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Worker's Camp (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); West Farmington Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Boorn-Halsted House (approx. half a mile away); The Old Mill (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sleepy Hollow (approx. 0.7 miles away); Charles Wixom House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmington Hills.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 51 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.