Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Chester in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
REMOVED
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

Parker's Battery

 
 
Parker's Battery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, February 9, 2009
1. Parker's Battery Marker
Inscription.  Parkerís men improved this earthen redoubt, referred to as a battery, so as to better protect their guns stationed behind its walls. Supporting infantry, from the 15th and 17th Virginia regiments, filled the adjacent trenches and manned the forward picket line. While their comrades engaged Grantís legions around Petersburg, the men of Parkerís Battery spent the last months of the war in the relative calm that prevailed along this area of the Confederate defenses.

With the collapse of the Confederate lines around Petersburg in early April 1865, the position here was vacated and the artillerists joined in the long march to Appomattox Court House. Having spent nearly 10 months in these entrenchments, almost one-fourth of their wartime service, the surviving members of Parkerís Battery came to view their experience here with some feelings of affection.
 
Erected by Richmond National Battlefield Park - National Park Service.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
It was located near 37° 20.904′ N, 77° 23.664′ W. Marker was near Chester, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker could be reached from Ware Bottom Spring Road, 0.1 miles east of Old Stage Road, on the right when traveling east. This marker is located within the Parkerís Battery Unit of the Richmond National Battlefield Park. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 1801 Ware Bottom Spring Road, Chester VA 23836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Parker's Battery (here, next to this marker); Remembrance (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Parkerís Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Howlett Line (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Howlett Line (about 400 feet away); The Boy Company (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Boy Company (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Parkerís Battery (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. New Marker At This Location also titled "Parker's Battery".
 
Schematic Drawing of Parkerís Battery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, February 9, 2009
2. Schematic Drawing of Parkerís Battery
Parker's Battery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, February 9, 2009
3. Parker's Battery
Parker's Battery facing east. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, February 9, 2009
4. Parker's Battery facing east.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 13, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,133 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 13, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=16086

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024