Texarkana in Bowie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sacred Heart Catholic Cemetery
The Texas and Pacific Railroad founded Texarkana on December 8, 1873. Anthony Ghio and Col. R.W. Rodgers purchased town lots on the first day of sale. They and several other residents formed Sacred Heart Catholic Church under the leadership of Father Theodore Buffard, a priest from Galveston who served much of the region's Catholic population. The next year, the congregation celebrated Christmas Eve Mass in their first sanctuary. Two years later, Col. Rodgers donated land for this church cemetery; his young daughter, Agnes Bernard Rodgers, had been buried here the previous year.
Over the years, the congregation grew and also sponsored a sister church in the city. Sacred Heart Catholic Church established a school, and later developed a second burial ground and new church facilities. Sacred Heart Catholic Cemetery features ironwork by the local LeGrand family, as well as sculpture by Raffl Studios of Paris, France. Immigrants from sixteen countries are buried here; inscriptions on the monuments, which vary greatly in style, indicate the diverse history of the congregation.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2004
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 25.849′ N, 94° 3.096′ W. Marker is in Texarkana, Texas, in Bowie County. Marker is at the intersection of Texas Boulevard and West 13th Street, on the right when traveling north on Texas Boulevard. The marker is located to the south of the main entrance of the cemetery on Texas Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1301 Texas Boulevard, Texarkana TX 75501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Central Christian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Bowie (approx. half a mile away); Scott Joplin (approx. half a mile away); Texarkana (approx. half a mile away); United States Post Office and Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. James Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rose Hill Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Martha Adams Runnels (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Texarkana.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.