DeKalb in Bowie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church
The Rev. William Stevenson led the pioneering efforts of Methodist Circuit Riders in Northeast Texas in 1815. He preached on both sides of the Red River, although Protestant Services were then illegal in the Spanish Territory of Texas. Methodist "Societies" began to spring up in this area in the 1820s and 1830s.
Dr. J.W.P. McKenzie started a Methodist mission in DeKalb in 1836, just five years after the town was founded. This area was then considered part of Miller County, Arkansas. The Rev. John B. Denton, who served the church in 1837, was later killed in the Village Creek Indian Battle in Tarrant County. The city and county of Denton were named for him.
The Methodists' first church building was a log structure which also served as a schoolhouse. It stood in the southeast corner of Old DeKalb Cemetery. After the arrival of the Texas & Pacific Railroad, the church moved to a new building at Fulton and Church St. in 1882. The Presbyterian and Christian Churches also shared that facility. A Sunday School program was begun in 1883. The church moved to its present location in 1913 and has occupied three buildings here. Three
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9480.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1815.
Location. 33° 30.456′ N, 94° 37.103′ W. Marker is in DeKalb, Texas, in Bowie County. Marker is at the intersection of SW Johnson Street and SW Austin Street, on the left when traveling north on SW Johnson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 SW Austin, De Kalb TX 75559, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. De Kalb (approx. ¼ mile away); Avery Methodist Church (approx. 9.9 miles away); Dalby Springs Methodist Church (approx. 10.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. The Battle of Village Creek. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Captain John B. Denton. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.