Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cass City in Tuscola County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

State Reward Road No. 1

 
 
State Reward Road No. 1 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, June 30, 2020
1. State Reward Road No. 1 Marker
Inscription.  The state highway system began with the State Reward Road program, created by the Michigan Legislature in 1905. The program provided "rewards" to local governments for road improvements made according to state standards. Horatio "Good Roads" Earle, the state highway commissioner, traveled the state drumming up local interest in road improvements. Elkland Township was the first municipality to receive a reward. Spending $985, the township widened (to nine feet) and graveled one mile of rutted wagon road (later M-81) between the corner of Elkland Cemetery and what became Crawford Road. The township then received a $500 reward. State Reward Road No. 1 marked the beginning of state aid for local roads.
 
Erected 2007 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number S702C.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
 
Location. 43° 36.057′ N, 83° 9.267′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is near Cass City, Michigan, in Tuscola County. Marker is at the intersection of Cass City Road (Michigan Route 81) and Schwegler Road, on the right when traveling east on Cass City Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cass City MI 48726, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church (approx. one mile away); Elkland Township Hall (approx. 1.1 miles away); Sawmill (approx. 5.7 miles away); Garage (approx. 5.8 miles away); House (approx. 5.8 miles away); Sugar Shack (approx. 5.8 miles away); Blacksmith Shop (approx. 5.8 miles away); Octagon Barn (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cass City.
 
State Reward Road No. 1 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, June 30, 2020
2. State Reward Road No. 1 Marker
Horatio S. Earle Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, June 30, 2020
3. Horatio S. Earle Monument
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=160949

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024