Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gagetown in Tuscola County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Gagetown

 
 
Gagetown Marker, Side 1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, June 30, 2020
1. Gagetown Marker, Side 1
Inscription.  
Side 1
Brothers Joseph and James Gage immigrated from Canada in 1860. Joseph filed a homestead claim in Elmwood Township. In 1869, Joseph built a store and mill on his land. Two years later, he platted the village of Gagetown where five roads met. In 1878, a Methodist Protestant class was organized. The next year, Father Clement Krebs established St. Agatha’s Parish, the first Catholic Church in Tuscola County. In 1882, the Pontiac, Oxford and Northern Railroad reached Gagetown carrying daily mail and passengers. The village incorporated that same year, electing Father Krebs as its first president. Residents elected to the first town council included John Williams, Joseph Gage, Eliphatel Robertson, John Wilson, George Perkins and Louis Lenhard.

Side 2
The Village of Gagetown grew quickly in the late nineteenth century after the arrival of the railroad. In 1890, Preston Purdy and his son James opened the State Savings Bank of Gagetown. The Opera House debuted in 1907 with electricity and seating for 315 people. St. Agatha’s dedicated its new brick church in 1917. From 1920 to 1922, James Purdy built an

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
octagon shaped barn on his farm. It became the Thumb Octagon Barn Agricultural Museum, located one mile east of town. Fire damaged Gagetown in 1925. Departments from seven towns fought the fire for six hours in high winds before containing it. Eighteen buildings were lost and many businesses never rebuilt. In 2012, part of the former State Savings Bank was converted into the Village Hall.
 
Erected 2015 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2269.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureChurches & ReligionDisastersSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
 
Location. 43° 39.353′ N, 83° 14.882′ W. Marker is in Gagetown, Michigan, in Tuscola County. Marker is at the intersection of South Street and 4th Street, on the left when traveling west on South Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4618 South St, Gagetown MI 48735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Garage (approx. 1.9 miles away); Powerhouse (approx. 1.9 miles away); Octagon Barn (approx. 1.9
Gagetown Marker, Side 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, June 30, 2020
2. Gagetown Marker, Side 2
miles away); Sawmill (approx. 1.9 miles away); One Room Schoolhouse (approx. 2 miles away); Sugar Shack (approx. 2 miles away); Blacksmith Shop (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gagetown.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Thumb Octagon Barn. (Submitted on November 27, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills.)
 
St. Agatha's Catholic Church and the Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John Garman, June 30, 2020
3. St. Agatha's Catholic Church and the Historical Marker
The Thumb Octagon Barn Agricultural Museum image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, June 30, 2020
4. The Thumb Octagon Barn Agricultural Museum
The Sign to the Thumb Octagon Barn Agricultural Museum image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, June 30, 2020
5. The Sign to the Thumb Octagon Barn Agricultural Museum
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 27, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=160954

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024