Near Pittsburg in Camp County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
When a migrant worker died in 1879, there was no cemetery in this community. Counce Reeves, a Civil War veteran who had come from Hamilton County, Georgia and his wife Selina gave two acres at this site for a church and burial ground. The Rev. D. Dane of Jefferson led in organizing the Reeves Chapel Methodist Church. The congregation erected a brush arbor and in the fall of 1879 constructed a frame meetinghouse. Later Reeves deeded an additional two acres. After the fellowship grew, members initiated efforts to erect a larger building in 1907.
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9806.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 57.708′ N, 95° 1.275′ W. Marker is near Pittsburg, Texas, in Camp County. Marker is on County Highway 3326 0.2 miles south of Farm to Market Road 1519, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburg TX 75686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the New Mine Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); New Mine Baptist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ferndale Club (approx. 2.7 miles away); Saint Beulah Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Ezekiel Airship (approx. 3.7 miles away); Abernathy House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Cotton Belt Depot (approx. 3.8 miles away); Shootout at the Pittsburg Depot (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.