Near Pittsburg in Camp County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
According to local tradition this cemetery began when migrant W.P. Jones buried his wife, Delila, here in 1871, hoping to later bury her in an established graveyard nearby. Her burial nevertheless remains the cemetery's earliest on record. O.S. and Jane Bradfield deeded the cemetery land to the Fairview Baptist Church in 1883. Annual spring cleanups, which began in 1909, have become a cherished tradition for descendants of persons buried here. Interred in this cemetery are pioneers, members of fraternal orders, and veterans of conflicts from the Civil War to Vietnam.
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9803.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 32° 54.381′ N, 95° 2.296′ W. Marker is near Pittsburg, Texas, in Camp County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 556 and County Highway 3320, on the right when traveling south on Highway 556. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7520 FM 556, Pittsburg TX 75686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this Jefferson-Quitman Road (approx. 3.7 miles away); Ferndale Club (approx. 3.8 miles away); Reeves Chapel (approx. 4 miles away); New Mine Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away); New Mine Baptist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Leesburg Cemetery (approx. 6.4 miles away); Oak Hill Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 6˝ miles away); Saint Beulah Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 24 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 28, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.