Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The construction of Mountview, begun in the 1850s by William Aurelius and Judith Owen Davis, was completed in 1861. Federal and Confederate armies passed Mountview on their way to Nashville after the Battle of Franklin on Nov. 30, 1864. Two weeks later, after the Battle of Nashville, the Confederates retreated southward past the house in defeat. In 1865, the plantation was sold to Ashley Bascom Rozell, Methodist minister, circuit rider, and planter. Mountview was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
Erected 1991 by Williamson County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • War, US Civil.
Location. 36° 0.341′ N, 86° 48.362′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Franklin Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 913 Franklin Road, Brentwood TN 37027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Owen Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Midway Plantation Slave CemeteryLipscomb Elementary School (approx. 0.9 miles away); WSM Broadcasting Transmitter & Antenna (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Stone Box Indian Site (approx. 1.4 miles away); Brentwood United Methodist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Mooreland (approx. 1.9 miles away); Knox-Crockett House (approx. 2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2020, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 28, 2020, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.