Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

East Glacier Park in Glacier County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Glacier Park Woman's Club

 
 
Glacier Park Woman's Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 21, 2020
1. Glacier Park Woman's Club Marker
Inscription.  Women, and especially club women, played outsized roles in creating and maintaining the community institutions - churches, schools, and libraries - that they and their families valued. Providing an outlet for women to exercise their leadership skills, women's clubs thrived in the late nineteenth century. By 1901, Montana alone boasted over fifteen women's clubs, with at least one in every major town. Helene Dawson Edkins, a Blackfeet woman and the adopted daughter of one of East Glacier's founding families, together with twenty-two other women, established the Glacier Park Woman's Club on December 4, 1920. While some women's clubs were stratified by race and class, the Glacier Park Woman's Club welcomed all interested women. Initially, members took turns hosting meetings in their homes. In 1928, they acquired this lot from the Great Northern Railway. In 1933, they donated the site to Glacier County so that the county could commission the Civilian Conservation Corps-Indian Division (CCC-ID) to construct this saddle-notched log library and community hall. Part of the "Indian New Deal." the CCC-ID employed 80,000 tribal members across the county
Glacier Park Woman's Club and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 21, 2020
2. Glacier Park Woman's Club and Marker
to work to improve their reservations through pest control, weed eradication, and building projects, including dams, roads, fire lookouts, and other structures. The federally funded program could not perform work for private organizations, but after the hall was completed, the county deed it back to the club. The hall is a good representation of Rustic architecture, a style associated both with par architecture and the CCC. The building continues to serve the community as a library, meeting space, and social center.
 
Erected by Montana Department of Transportation.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsNative AmericansWomen. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 🏞️, and the Montana National Register Sign Program series lists.
 
Location. 48° 26.568′ N, 113° 13.08′ W. Marker is in East Glacier Park, Montana, in Glacier County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 2 and Glacier Avenue, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 2. While technically the address of the building is 25 Glacier Avenue, the building's entrance and the marker are on U.S. Highway 2. Touch for map
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
. Marker is in this post office area: East Glacier Park MT 59434, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trains, Trails, and Chalets (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Time Machines (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Day's Ride Apart (approx. 7˝ miles away); Marias Pass Obelisk (approx. 10.6 miles away); The Lewis Overthrust Fault and Marias Pass (approx. 10.6 miles away).
 
Additional keywords. CCC-ID
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 31 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 6, 2021