Grapeland in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church
Congregation organized about 1870 in community of Red House (3 mi. East), where Indian Village had once stood. When Grapeland was founded with coming of railroad in 1872, church moved to town. At first held services in school house. Present sanctuary was built in 1895 and has been in continuous use since then. In 1947 kitchen facilities, a dining room, and an educational unit were added to the original structure.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11127.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Native Americans.
Location. 31° 29.609′ N, 95° 28.754′ W. Marker is in Grapeland, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is at the intersection of North Market Street (U.S. 287 BUS) and North College, on the right when traveling south on North Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grapeland TX 75844, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Grapeland (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of GrapelandJoseph Randolph Yarbrough (approx. 0.6 miles away); Franklin Columbus Woodard (approx. 0.6 miles away); Original Site of the Joseph R. Rice Log Cabin (approx. 10½ miles away); Stage Coach Inn (approx. 10½ miles away); Rice Cemetery (approx. 10.6 miles away); Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church (approx. 10.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grapeland.
Also see . . . Grapeland Texas. Wikipedia (Submitted on November 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 21 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.