Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Reformed Church
This congregation, organized by French, Swiss and German settlers, 1730 - 1732.
The Log Church, first church consecrated to the worship of God in this city, June 20, 1736, stood on this site.
The First Bell hung on old hickory tree, near site of Court House 1741—rung as warning of sudden incursion of hostile Indians when in tower of church.
Rev. Philip William Otterbein, founder Church of the United Brethren in Christ, pastor of this congregation 1752 - 1758.
Barbara Fritchee, nee Barbara Hauer, baptized in old stone church on this site, December 14, 1766, by Rev. Wm. Hendel.
Rev. Charles Lewis Boehme preached in old stone church to the French traders, 1771 - 1775.
Fifty three Members of this congregation in service of Colonies in Revolutionary War, 1775 - 1783.
Rev. Conrad Helfenstein preached to the Hessian prisoners, 1776 - 1779.
Graves of Revolutionary soldiers in churchyard.
First Synod Reformed Church, organized in old stone church, 1793.
Hymn, "Jesus I Live to Thee" written in this church by Rev. Henry Harbaugh, 1850 - 1880.
Erected by First Reformed Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 40° 2.374′ N, 76° 18.279′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on East Orange Street just west of North Duke Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 42 E Orange St, Lancaster PA 17602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named First Reformed Church (a few steps from this marker); Fremont Boys (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War II Memorial (about 300 feet away); Patriots of St. James Church (about 300 feet away); St. James' Church (Episcopal) (about 300 feet away); Henry E. Muhlenberg (about 300 feet away); Lancaster County (about 400 feet away); The New Era Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 27 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 29, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.