Wrightsville in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Captain Thomas Cresap
Settled on these Indian lands of
Conejohela in 1730
and held them for Lord Baltimore
against the Penn Proprietors
until 1736, when in the border war
he was burned out
of this log house or fort
near this marker toward the river
on his plantation "Pleasant Garden"
and carried prisoner
Erected 1924 by The Pennsylvania Historical Commission and the Historical Society of York County.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 39° 58.418′ N, 76° 29.651′ W. Marker was in Wrightsville, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker was at the intersection of Long Level Road (Pennsylvania Route 624) and Bank Hill Road, on the left when travelingTouch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Wrightsville PA 17368, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Cresap's Fort (a few steps from this marker); Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal (approx. 0.6 miles away); Susquehanna Canal (approx. 0.6 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away); Washington Boro Archaeological Sites (approx. 1.8 miles away); Great Minqua Path (approx. 1.9 miles away); Martin Chartier (approx. 2 miles away); 40th Parallel (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wrightsville.
More about this marker. It appears the marler may have been destroyed when a tree fell.
Also see . . . Biography of Thomas Cresap. (Submitted on March 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 1, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,603 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on November 29, 2020. Photos: 1. submitted on March 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on July 25, 2011, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3. submitted on March 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 4. submitted on February 25, 2010, by Dianne Bowders of York, PA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.