Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
This church, founded June 21, 1840, by missionaries to the Cherokee Indians from the brainerd Mission and others, is Chattanooga's oldest with record of its founding date. During the Civil War, its building at 7th and Market streets was shelled by the Union Army and used as a hospital. During that time, the Reverend Thomas H. McCallie, pastor, ministered from his home one block west of here. Completed in 1910, this church building at the church's fifth location was designed by the noted New York firm of McKim, Mead, and White. (continued)
In 1981, the Medical Arts building, erected in 1928, was added as a part of the church. This church began Chattanooga's first Sunday School, began many other Presbyterian churches in the area, and on January 17, 1926, while Dr. Joseph G. Venable was pastor, began a Sunday radio broadcast, among the longest running radio broadcasts in the United States. Three pastors- Dr. Jonathan W. Bachman, Dr. James L. Fowle, and Ben Haden - served over 120 years.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2A
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1894.
Location. 35° 2.764′ N, 85° 18.134′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on McCallie Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Point in the Line of Works (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Walden Hospital (about 300 feet away); The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Impressions (approx. ¼ mile away); Martin Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); First Coca-Cola Bottling Company In The United States (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Abby Crawford Milton (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 14, 2009, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 1,081 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 14, 2009, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.