Little Rock in Pulaski County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The Heights A History
Its attractions included a huge swimming pool and bathhouse, a merry-go-round, a dance pavilion, a shooting gallery, a "laughing gallery," an aerial swing, an auditorium, a refreshment stand, a figure-eight railroad, a promenade and bandstand — even a horse racing track as well as a car barn for the trolley line that ended at Forest Park.
Little Rock's first streetcars, pulled by mules, started running in 1877 and were replaced with electric ones in 1891. That same year, a group of developers bought 800 acres "in the highlands northwest of the city" for $80,000. This purchase was the beginning of Pulaski Heights, an incorporated municipality
Today, "The Heights" is "enthroned" 350 feet above the city and still providing the amenities sought by earlier residents: "pure air, good water, unrivaled scenery and every modern improvement and convenience known to this age of progressive enterprise."
Erected 2009 by The Heights Neighborhood Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 34° 46.224′ N, 92° 20.365′ W. Marker is in Little Rock, Arkansas, in Pulaski County. Marker is at the intersection of Kavanaugh Boulevard and North Grant Street, on the left when traveling east on Kavanaugh Boulevard. Marker is located along the sidewalk on the north side of the street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Little Rock AR 72207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Arkansas Statehood Centennial (approx. 3.2 miles away); Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land (approx. 3.3 miles away); "Testament" (approx. 3.3 miles away); Arkansas Medal of Honor Monument (approx. 3.4 miles away); To The Confederate Women of ArkansasArkansas Vietnam Veterans' Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Old State House (approx. 4.1 miles away); In Memory of Herman Davis (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Little Rock.
Also see . . .
1. Pulaski Heights. Pulaski Heights was the project of Michigan industrialist Henry Franklin Auten, who settled in Little Rock by 1890 and later organized the Pulaski Heights Land Company, which was capitalized at $500,000. He purchased an initial 800 acres in March 1891, following this with another 500 acres. To make his development more attractive, Auten obtained an extension of Little Rocks streetcar franchise into Pulaski Heights, with the area receiving streetcar service in 1903. (Submitted on December 1, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Pulaski Heights (Wikipedia). One early attraction of The Heights was Forest Park, developed in 1904 soon after the Little Rock Traction and Electric Company introduced streetcar service into Pulaski Heights in 1903. The park, located at the end of the Pulaski Heights streetcar line, was intended to increase ridership and income for the company, especially on weekends. In 1939, (Submitted on December 1, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 1, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.