Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Dexter in Effingham County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

National Road

 
 
National Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, January 25, 2020
1. National Road Marker
Inscription.  The National Road, sometimes called the Cumberland Road or the Old Pike. Ran from Cumberland, Maryland, to Vandalia, Illinois the Illinois portion of the road was begun in 1830 and opened in the summer of 1838 it extended 89 miles from the Indiana line to Vandalia before the advent of the railroads, the National Road was one of the great arteries for westward migration U.S. Route 40. Constructed in the 1920's and Interstate 70. Completed in the 1970's parallel the bed of the old pike, and U.S. 40 at some points is identical with it from here the old pike was a half mile north.
 
Erected by Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the The Historic National Road series lists.
 
Location. 39° 4.083′ N, 88° 40.217′ W. Marker is near Dexter, Illinois, in Effingham County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 70 5 miles east of Farina Road
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10523 County Rd 700 E, Altamont IL 62411, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. Charles M. Wright House (approx. 4.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); Welcome to the Cross at the Crossroads! (approx. 6 miles away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away); Effingham County Courthouse (approx. 7.8 miles away); Yates Post No. 88 W.R.C. (approx. 7.9 miles away); Effingham (approx. 7.9 miles away); Lord Thomas Howard, Earl of Effingham (approx. 7.9 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 4 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 1, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker in context • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 4, 2021