North Sutton in Merrimack County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Hotels and Camps
Erected 1984 by Bicentennial Committee, Town of Sutton, New Hampshire.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 43° 21.833′ N, 71° 56.416′ W. Marker is in North Sutton, New Hampshire, in Merrimack County. Marker is at the intersection of Keyser Street and Wadleigh Hill Road, on the right when traveling east on Keyser Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: North Sutton NH 03260, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Sargent Pillsbury (approx. 3.1 miles away); New London War MemorialNew London War Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Newbury NH Veteran's Memorial (approx. 5.7 miles away); Center Meeting House, Newbury (approx. 5.7 miles away); Potter Place (approx. 6.7 miles away); Waterloo Historical District (approx. 6.7 miles away); New England College Covered Bridge (approx. 14.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Hotels and camps flourished on Kezar Lake in past times. The late 1800s and 1900s saw hotels and camps rise in popularity in North Sutton. As farming activity decreased around the town, people turned their farmhouses into summer retreats; some lodgers stayed all year. Trains from Boston and New York brought folks pursuing vacation spots and relief from the heat; railroads had depots in Warner and Bradford, and later Potter Place in Andover, and stage coaches ferried guests to their hotels. (Submitted on December 2, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Early Settlers. Prior to 1784, Sutton was called Perrystown after Obadiah Perry, one of the grantees from the Masonian proprietors who settled the town in 1749. Other early settlers from this period included (Submitted on December 2, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Sutton, New Hampshire History. During the summer of 1921 Miss Mildred Lefferts was the chaperone for a small group of girls from the Oldfields School who were camping on the Keyser property next to Kezar Lake. The success of this camping trip encouraged Miss Lefferts and her friend Mrs. Scott Clark to start a girls camp. They opened Camp Bueno on the same Keyser property in 1923. (Submitted on December 2, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.